Saturday, May 9, 2009

Love is a Verb, Precisely Defined by Motherhood...

I was curious to see what would happen if I stepped back for a few days... and you kept reading! I must have a lot of browsers though because I have found that if I'm not writing, you're not writing.

So I'm back in my chair, happily.

Mother's day is this weekend. I became a mother on Mother's Day, May 14th, three years ago. I knew the greatest transition into motherhood would be letting go of being the center of my universe. When you have children, you are no longer the center of your world, you know. It is not about you any more. And I was all about me, and I knew it- as far as creature comforts are concerned especially. I like to sleep, I like my food hot, I like quiet- a lot, I like to walk fast, I like to blaze through a check list- uninterrupted.

Mother's, you are now laughing. You know these comforts are the first to go. I no longer have to have hot food... food of any kind is good- kids leftovers are not off limits, especially in a hurry. Getting any project done quickly is now a day dream (except in the bedroom). Everything is interrupted, and I mean everything -romantic rendezvous are now "quick- before the kids get out of the tub!" Walking anywhere quickly is only happening if I am chasing one of my children, otherwise they are lagging behind, in a beautiful world of their own. There is no more running here and there, it is now all about loading up the car with all necessary snacks, water, and preparations, getting to destination, unloading and proceeding with the caravan.

Motherhood is all about meeting your children's needs unselfishly. Motherhood is the epitome of love defined. It is challenging not so much because of the physical grind, but because of the daily sacrifice of your own personal desires.

If you are a Mother, a good mother, love is what you do everyday. Love is a verb as far as I'm concerned. Love is a state of being but it is always detectable by action.

True, I've reserved this little corner of the world for myself. You will not find pictures of my children on this blog (mainly for their own protection), and you will not find me talking about my role as a mother all too much. But, without my children I loose my most praiseworthy calling. I am so proud to be a mother. I am so proud of my amazing children. I am so proud to have given birth to one physically and another with my heart and soul. I am so proud to take them out and see them brighten the faces of everyone around. It's not me they notice. It's them. They shine, and that makes me shine.

I would so love to hear what's on your nurturing heart. This weekend is all about you, and me.

When it comes to These People

When it comes to these people
I love outside the breadth of my own capabilities

When it comes to these people
I feel beyond the limits of my own understanding

When it comes to these people
I must not feel like nothing for I am everything

When it comes to these people
the abundance of my heart knows no restrictions

When it comes to these people
I know not the limits of confinement but the freedom of sacrifice

When it comes to these people
I am willing
…I love these people.

Happy Mother's Day my Sisters.

7 comments:

Melody said...

Love it! I wish that all moms had your perspective. Being a mom is certainly tough at times... and definitely changes your identity and focus in life... but I'd say the benefits outweigh the tough times any day. I am loving seeing life through a toddler/preschooler's eyes and constantly being reminded that (regardless of what the rest of the world thinks) it is okay and even a good thing to slow down and enjoy all of the simple pleasures of life. I love being a mom and your love for your little ones shines through this entire post.

Anna said...

Thanks Melody- Yes we are now stopping to smell all the flowers... and look at the worms... and muse over the butterflies... slowly and surely.

The Walker's said...

Today at lunch I noticed a cute blonde haired little boy squirmming to get by his mom. I have been a mom for 11 years and I remember when my kids were that age and as hard as somedays I wouldn't change a thing. I have enjoyed being their mom with every diaper change, food fight, bath war, challenge of power because with each of those moments comes even more moments of hugs, kisses, I love you's, snuggling so tight it is hard to catch your breath. Being a mom completely changes everything you "thought" you knew. Being Mom is still hard but I love it! for me it is hard to define motherhood or MOM because you redefine it everyday with every sacrifice. Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

My daughter allowed me to love my husband more because I saw a part of him that only she could bring out. A loving and beautiful side to him that lets me know he was the right man to marry and the right man to father my child. I'm so thankful that she helps me to appreciate him more and more because I may not have seen that in him had it not been for her. I love my family, it's hard to remember that when you haven't gotten any time to yourself and you feel like you've been spread too thin, but I do. So much.

Anna said...

Dianna it is so great to hear from you- you give a perfect example of the discussion on love in what you said. It is not about what you feel so much as what you do- your faithfulness to your family demonstrates your love. It is such a gift as our love deepens in the midst of our sacrifices. You know, romantic love ignites a relationship- but it is true sacrificial love that sustains it.

The Walker's said...

Today in the middle of kids flying through the front of the house to the back yard, clothes everywhere, food fights, an overflowing tub, and much much more, I Love being MOM!

Jessica said...

The promised and long awaited comment... I love you friend and I love that you are doing this. The wise counsel I have been blessed with for more years than we should admit to can now serve many more! Praying for you!